Monday, September 7, 2020

Butte to Pinedale Trip Summary

 

All of the photos from the trip are here.

The three of us survived the trip from Butte to Pinedale with no injuries or serious mishap. Doug's recounting of the trip is on his blog (July thru September 2020 postings). Dave is off hiking in Isle Royale and I'm back in Boulder. 

Here are some random Facebook posts from the trip:













Other junk:

I met Karen and Allen from Durango on the next-to-last day. I am the "Mike from Boulder" in the last paragraph of this blog post. 

Document with the trip planning information

Doug's photo album

What would I do differently?

I was pretty cold at night, so I would definitely bring a warmer bag and a jacket with a hood. Since I was sleeping under a tarp, I should have brought a slightly warmer bag anyway. Also, a thicker sleeping pad would have given me more sleep and warmth. I would also trade out my relative tough and heavy pants for a pair of lightweight wind pants and a pair of warm tights. I really didn't like the bike shoes I had - they were heavy and took a long time to dry out. Next time, I'll use standard clip-in pedals and more breathable mountain biking shoes. 

I didn't really appreciate how many bags, straps and technology end up on or around the handlebar stem. Mine was really short causing a traffic jam. I'll put in a longer stem next time. 

My clothing was fine, but there were times I would have liked a windbreaker. I could have put on my rain jacket, but it is dark in color (not very safe for riding) and isn't very breathable. Next time, I'll either add a light vest or windbreaker or I'll get a brightly colored, very breathable rain jacket. 


No comments:

Post a Comment