Wednesday, May 11, 2016

What to Bring on a Bike Tour - Part 1

Here is a listing of about half of the things that I am bringing with me. I'm sure that I will send a few items home, and pick up a few items along the way. This bunch of stuff represents my thinking before the trip starts, we'll see what makes it home with me.

I have already shipped my tent and sleeping bag, so you won't see them in the photos. I have a Big Agnes "Fly Creek UL2" tent and a Marmot "Atom" sleeping bag. I also shipped two little inflatable pillows, so they will also be missing.

I will be riding in a pair of Keen sandals instead of more traditional biking shoes.


Upper body - clockwise from top left:

  • Standard synthetic T-Shirt - in this case a Patagonia Capilene
  • Lightweight long-sleeved shirt. This one is by "Toad and Co."
  • Rain jacket 
  • Nice Saks of 5th Ave cashmere sweater from Goodwill. 
  • Grey cotton T-shirt for sleeping (in the center of the photo)
  • Orange nylon vest for cold mornings
  • Two bike jerseys. 


 Lower body - clockwise from top left

  • Nylon bike shorts with no liner
  • Long pants - Prana "stretch zion" 
  • Lightweight rain pants
  • Two pair of Smartwool underwear
  • Two liner shorts for bicycling



 Feet, head and hands - clockwise from top left:

  • Flip flops for camp
  • Three pair of socks (one just for sleeping)
  • Lightweight gloves
  • Rain cover for helmet
  • Baseball cap
  • Stretchy tubular handkerchief - kind of like a "Buff" 
  • Fleece neck warmer/hat tube


Misc. Camp Items -

  • Lightweight Silnylon backpack that doubles as a stuff sack
  • Eno sub7 hammock
  • Paperback book - subject to change
  • "Shotgun" portable USB speaker for playing tunes around the camp
  • Bike lock
  • Sleep kit with eye shades, headlamp, ear plugs and a handy carrying case
  • Sleeping pad - Nemo Astro 25L



Electronics Bundle -

  • Nexus 7" Tablet
  • 5-port USB charger - overkill for one person, but good for two of us
  • Fanny pack
  • Reading glasses
  • Earbuds
  • Portable battery
  • iPod to rock the Shotgun speaker with
  • Not shown: Nexus 5 Android smartphone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment